Manuel Saenz de Garvisu
- Born: 1707, Pamplona, España
- Marriage: María Ygnacia Lucero de Godoy on 25 Feb 1743 in Santa Fé, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 250,252
- Died: 1758, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España at age 51
- Buried: 28 Sep 1758, Guadalupe del Paso, Nuevo Méjico. Nueva España
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 252
Manuel Sáenz de Garvizu married María Ignacia Lucero de Godoy on February 25, 1743. He was a native of Spain, and Teniente of the Santa Fe garrison in 1745, when he gave his age as thirty-eight. At that time he purchased property in Santa Fe. He was a mayordomo of the Conquistadora Confraternity with Toribio Ortiz in 1774. His known children are the following:
Manuel Bernardo, who married Ursula Durán in 1766, and made his home in the Rio Abajo
María de Loreto, wife of Juan Domingo Baca
Juana de la Cruz, born December 1, 1744
Antonio José, October 22, 1749
Juan Manuel, March 8, 1755; Juan Manuel enlisted as a soldier in 1776.
María Andrea, February 7, 1752.
Origins of New Mexico Families: A Genealogy of the Spanish Colonial Period, p. 277
• Background Information. 250
Manuel Sáenz de Garvizu [ONMF: 277] had traveled to Mexico City where he became ill in bed and dictated his last will and testament on 3 Dec 1756. He declared he was a native of Pamplona, Navarra (Basque region of Spain), and a son of Juaquín Sánchez and Agustina Garvizu. He further declared he was married with María Ignacia Lucero with whom he had the following children:
1. Juana Sáenz de Garvizu, age 14 (b.ca. 1744).
2. Manuel Sáenz de Garvizu, age 12 (b.ca. 1746).
3. María de Loreto Sáenz de Garvizu, age 4 (b.ca. 1754).
4. José Manuel Sáenz de Garvizu, age 2 (b.ca. 1756).
Manuel Sáenz de Garvizu recovered from his illness and returned to New Mexico, presumably dying around 1758 at El Paso where his last will and testament was filed and preserved.
Researcher: Rick Hendricks, Ph.D.
Sources: Ciudad Juárez Municipal Archives, Roll 6, bk. 1, 1758, f. 548-57 [Will of Manuel Sáenz de Garvizu, El Paso, 3 December 1756], in the microfilm collection of the University of Texas-El Paso (UTEP); also see brief extraction given in Rick Hendricks, Ph.D., "Wills from El Paso del Norte, 1754-1817," Nuestra Raíces [Quarterly Journal of the Genealogical Society of Hispanic America], Vol. 6, No.4, Winter 1994, 164.
Manuel married María Ygnacia Lucero de Godoy, daughter of Juan Lucero de Godoy and Ysabel López Luján, on 25 Feb 1743 in Santa Fé, Nuevo Méjico, Nueva España 250.,252