Robert de Quincy Constable of Leinster
- Born: Abt 1145 193
- Marriage: Basile de Clare 193
- Died: 1172, on his return from Clanmailer to Kildare, Ireland about age 27 193
Information about this person:
• From Gen-Medieval Archives: Juliane fitz Maurice, Wife of Thomas de Clare . 193
From: Douglas Richardson <royalancestryNOroSPAM@msn.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: Juliane Fitz Maurice, wife of Thomas de Clare
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 07:54:38 -0800
Since my original post last week regarding the maternity of Juliane Fitz Maurice, various people have contacted me and requested additional information on the ancestry of her mother, Maud de Prendergast. In the intervening time, I've researched the matter and have developed a preliminary ahnentafel for Juliane Fitz Maurice and her mother, Maud de Prendergast, a shortened version of which is presented below. The ancestry of Maud de Prendergast includes some of the top medieval families of England, Ireland and France, including Quincy, Clare, Burgh, Lacy, Beaumont, Braose, St. Valery and Vermandois. If anyone has any corrections or additions to the information below, please let me know. The list of colonial immigrants who descend from Juliane Fitz Maurice is repeated following the ahnentafel.
Best always, Douglas Richardson
AHNENTAFEL OF JULIANE FITZ MAURICE (concentrating on her
1. JULIANE FITZ MAURICE, married Thomas de Clare, Knt.
2. MAURICE FITZ MAURICE, Knt., of Connaught, and, in right of his wife, of Corbyn and the cantred of Corran, co. Cork, Tobernea, co. Limerick and Killegny, co. Wexford, Justiciar of Ireland, was born about 1238, died 1286. He married (lst) Maud de Prendergast (No. 3 below); (2nd) in or before 1276, Emmeline Longespeee, daughter and co-heiress of Stephen Longespee, Justiciar of Ireland.
3. MAUD DE PRENDERGAST, born about 1242 (aged ten in March 1252). She was married (lst) to David Fitz Maurice (who d.s.p. before St. Patrick's Day, 1249); (2nd) Maurice de Rochford (who died before May, 1258); and (3rd) Maurice Fitz Maurice, Knt. (No. 2 above).
6. GERALD DE PRENDEGAST, of Beauvoir, Ballacha in Orrery, and Corbyn, co. Cork, Tobernea, co. Limerick, and Crosspatrick and Killegny, co. Wexford, was born say 1200. He married (lst) Maud, daughter of Theobald Walter by his wife, Maud le Vavasour; married (2nd) in or before 1240, _____ de Burgh (No. 7 below). He died in 1251.
7. _____ DE BURGH.
12. PHILIP DE PRENDERGAST, of Schyrmal and Kynalo, co. Wexford and, in right of his wife, of the Duffrey, co. Leinster, born say 1170. He married Maud de Quincy (No. 13 below). He was probably the builder of Enniscorthy Castle, co. Leinster. He died in 1229.
13. MAUD DE QUINCY, born late in 1172 or early 1173.
14. RICHARD DE BURGH, lord of Connaught, Ireland, Justiciar of Ireland, 1328-32, was born say 1200. He was married before 21 April 1225, to Jill de Lacy (No. 15 below). He died in Gascony shortly before 17 Feb. 1242/3.
15. JILL DE LACY, living 1243.
24. MAURICE DE PRENDERGAST (of Flemish descent), of Rhos, co. Pembroke. He landed in Ireland in 1169 but returned soon afterwards to Wales. He returned to Ireland in 1170, after Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke, granted him Fernegal, co. Leinster. He was living in 1173. He may be the Maurice de Prendergast who was prior of Kilmainham in 1200.
26. ROBERT DE QUINCY, of the Duffry, a district in Temple- shanbo, co. Leinster, Constable of Leinster, born say 1145. He was married at Ferns, co. Leinster in 1172 to Basile de Clare (No. 27 below). He was killed later in 1172, on his return to Kildare from Clanmalier.
27. BASILE DE CLARE, born say 1158. She married (lst) Robert de Quincy (No. 26 above); (2nd) Raymond Fitz William (otherwise de Carew), Constable of Leinster, who died about 1188; (3rd) Geoffrey Fitz Robert (died 1210/11), Baron of Kells in Ossory, seneschal of Leinster, founder of the priory of Kells. She was living 1199/1201, and presumably died c. 1203.
28. WILLIAM DE BURGH, lord of Connaught, Ireland, born say 1170. He was brother of Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent. He died in 1205/6.
30. WALTER DE LACY, lord of Meath, Ireland, and of Ludlow, Weobley, and Ewyas, England, Sheriff of Herefordshire, Constable of Hereford Castle, born before 1173. He married before 19 Nov. 1200 to Margaret (or Margery) de Braose (No. 31 below). He died shortly before 24 Feb. 1241.
31. MARGARET (or MARGERY) DE BRAOSE. She was living 1245.
54. RICHARD DE CLARE (otherwise Strongbow), 2nd Earl of Pembroke, was born about 1130. By an unknown wife or mistress, he was father of Basile de Clare (No. 27 above). His only known marriage took place in 1171 at Waterford, Ireland to Eve, daughter and de facto heiress of Dermot Mac Murrough, King of Leinster. He died at Dublin, Ireland probably on 20 April 1176, and was buried there at Holy Trinity (Christ Church Cathedral).
55. Unknown wife or mistress
60. HUGH DE LACY, of Stanton-Lacy, Weobley, Ludlow, Ewyas, etc., in England, lord of Meath, Ireland, Justiciar of Ireland, Governor of Dublin. He married (lst) Rohese de Monmouth (No. 61 below); (2nd) in 1181, Rose, daughter of Roderick O'Connor, King of Connaught. He died 25 July 1186.
61. ROHESE DE MONMOUTH, died before 1181.
62. WILLIAM DE BRAOSE
63. MAUD DE ST. VALERY
108. GILBERT FITZ GILBERT (otherwise DE CLARE), lst Earl of Pembroke, was born about 1100. He married Isabel (or Elizabeth) de Beaumont (No. 109 below). He probably died 8 January 1147/8, or possibly 1148/9, and was buried at Tintern Abbey.
109. ISABEL (or ELIZABETH) DE BEAUMONT.
218. ROBERT DE BEAUMONT, Count of Meulan, lst Earl of Leicester.
219. ISABEL (or ELIZABETH) DE VERMANDOIS
Robert married Basile de Clare, daughter of Richard "Strongbow" de Clare 2nd Earl of Pembroke and Unknown.193 (Basile de Clare was born about 1158 in Ireland 193 and died after 1201 in Ireland 193.)