Gruffydd ap Cynan Prince of North Wales King of Gwynedd
- Born: 1055, Caernarvonshire, Wales
- Marriage: Angharad verch Owain 160,1012,1092
- Died: 1137, Caernarvonshire, Wales at age 82 1091,1012,1092
- Buried: 1137, Bangor Cathedral, Is Gwyrfai, Caernarvonshire, Wales 1012
~Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, 8th Edition, 176B:26, 239:4-5, Griffith, Prince of North Wales, son of Cyuan ap Iago & his wife Ragnaillt, married Angharat of Tegaingl, daughter of Owain ap Edwin.
Information about this person:
• Web Reference: Gruffydd ap Cynan.
• Web Reference: Dictionary of Welsh Biography, Gruffudd ap Cynan . 1012
Gruffudd ap Cynan, King of Gwynedd, son of Cynan ap Iago, who was an exile in Ireland, and the son of Ragnhildr, daughter of the royal house of the Scandinavians of Dublin. He married Angharad, daughter of Owain ab Edwin, who survived her husband by twenty-five years. Their sons were Owain and Cadwaladr.
• Background Information. 1091
Gruffudd ap Cynan, king of Gwynedd is said to have been born and reared in Dublin. His grandfather, Iago ab Idwal, was ruler of Gwynedd up to the time he was killed in 1039. Gruffudd's mother was Rhanillt, daughter of Olafr, the Norse king of Dublin.
Gruffydd ruled Gwynedd from about 1100 until his death in 1137. During his reign, Gwynedd had peace, prosperity, new rules to the Bardic order and a renaissance of Welsh court poetry. His descendants ruled until the end of Welsh independence in 1282/4.
~Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia, p. 853
Gruffydd married Angharad verch Owain, daughter of Owain ap Edwyn and Unknown 160,1012.,1092 (Angharad verch Owain was born about 1065 in Deheubarth, Wales and died in 1162 in Wales 1012.)