Sir Ralph Basset 1st Lord Bassett & Drayton
- Born: Drayton, Staffordshire, England
- Marriage: Hawise Grey in Drayton, Staffordshire, England 141
- Died: 31 Dec 1299, England 160
- Buried: Drayton, Staffordshire, England
~Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, 8th Edition,, Lord of Drayton, a member of Parliment in 1295-1299 160
~A Synopsis of peerage of England, Vol. I, p. Baron by Writ, 1295, Ralph Basset, summoned to Parliment 23 Jun 1295, 6 Feb & 10 Apr 1299 as "Randulphus Basset (de Drayton)," ob. 1299.
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 141
Ralph Basset, son and heir of his father, also named Ralph Basset, succeeded his father after 4 Aug 1265. He held lands of Ralph Basset of Weldon 1284/85. He served the king in the French and Scottish wars. He was summoned to attend the King in Shrewsbury, 28 Jun 1283, and was summoned to Parliament 23 Jun 1295 up to 10 Apr 1299 by writes that styled his as Radulfo Basset de Drayton, Lord of Basset of Drayton. He married a woman named Hawise, died 31 Dec 1299 and was buried at Drayton.
~Cokayne's Complete Peerage, 2nd Edition, (Basset), Vol. II, p. 2
• Background Information. 535
Acording to A Genealogical History of the Dormant: Abeyant, Forfeited, and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire, 1866 edition, p. 27, Ralph Basset, 2nd baron, was summons to parliament, 23 Jun 1295 as "Randulphus Basset de Drayton," and served in the French and Scottish war of King Edward I. Burke gives Joan, daughter of John Grey, justice of Chester as his wife. The children given for this couple are:
• Ralph his successor
• Margaret who married Edmund, Baron of Stafford, the great-grandson of which marriage, Thomas, Earl of Stafford, was one of the heirs of Ralph, last Lord Basset of Drayton.
• Maud, married to William de Heriz & mother of Joan who married Jordan le Brett and had a son or grandson, Sir John Brett, whose daughter Catherine married Sir John Caltoft, and their daugher married Alice, wife of Sir William Chaworth, who was one of the heirs to Ralph, last Lord Basset of Drayton. The son and heir of Alice Chaworth was Sir Thomas Chaworth who married 1st Nichola daughter of Sir Reginald Braybroke, by whom he had a daughter Elizabeth, wife of John 6th Lord Scrope of Masham.
Ralph married Hawise Grey, daughter of Sir John de Grey Knight and Unknown, in Drayton, Staffordshire, England.141