- Born: Great Carleton, Lancashire, England
- Marriage: Unknown
- Died: After 1281, Lancashire, England 156
John de Schirburn, married Eva daughter and heiress of Walter de Carleton. He lived 56 Henry III, and was succeeded by his son Sir Robert Schireburn.
~The Coucher Book or the Chartulary of Whalley Abbey, Vol. III, p. 681 825
~The History of the Parish of Poulton-le-Fylde, p. 170 mentions a Walter Carleton who is a son of Sir William Carleton, and also Walter has a son named William. 156
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 156
The Carleton family held lands in Carleton from a very eary period. In the 13th century Matilda de Karlton, widow, held lands of the Priory of St. John the baptist in Cheshire [Dodsworth MSS, 142 T74]. A witness to various charters of this century, contained in the Coucher book of Walley, appear William de Carleton, knight, and Walter de Carelton, and from a charter of about the same period it appears that Walter de Carleton, son of William de Carleton, Knight, granted to his son and heir William all the lands which he held in Inskip and Norbrec and elsewhere of Richard le Botiller; this is witnessed by Alan de Syngleton and Henry de Lee [Dodsworth MSS, 144, T 127]
in 1281, Richard le Boteler of Rawcliffe married Alicia, the daughter of William de Carleton, and thus became possessed of the manor of Inskip. In the subsidy roll of 1332, there appears for Carleton, Godrich de Carleton and Adam del Halle.
~The History of the Parish of Poulton-le-Fylde, pp. 170-171
The manor of Carleton was held by the Carleton family for several centuries, and then passed to the Singletons, and early in the 18th centuries came into to possesson of the Sherburnes of Stoneyhurst.
~The History of the Parish of Poulton-le-Fylde, p. 17
• Background Information. 913
Sir William Carleton was succeeded by a son named Walter living in 1281. About 1280, as Walter son of Sir William de Carleton, he gave his son William the homage and service of Sir Richard le Boteler for lands in Inskip and Eccleston.
~ VCH: A History of the County of Lancaster, Volume VII, pp. 228-231