John de Farington
- Marriage: Avica de Bussel 827,1108
- Died: After 1314, Farrington, Lancashire, England 1108
Information about this person:
• Background Information. 924
Worden Hall, the ancient seat of the Faringtons descended from John de Farington, son of William de Meolis, and grandson of Hugh de Meolis who was living at the time of the Conquest.
~ Notitia Cestriensis, p. 381
• Background Information. 827,1108
A family bearing the local name is early found in possession of Farington, but the whole or larger part was surrendered to the abbot and acquired by William de Meols, whose son John de Farington, by his marriage with Avice daughter of Robert Bussel *, acquired a moiety of the manor of Leyland. Their estate also was known as the 'manor' of Farington. John was succeeded by his son William de Farington [Penwortham Priory, 17-20; Assize R. 424, m. 1 d] and his grandson William [Penwortham Priory, 18 note] ; the latter in 1348 obtained a grant of free warren in his demesne lands of Leyland and Farington, and licence to enclose a hundred acres of land and wood in those townships and make a park [Charter R. 143 , 22 Edw. III, m. 30, no. 41].
* Robert Bussel granted to Penwortham Priory the service of John son of William de Meols, clerk, for an oxgang of land in Leyland [Kuerden fol. MS. p. 58]. Geoffrey Bussel of Leyland granted to John de Farington son of William de Meols the homage and service of certain of his tenants in Longton [Harl. MS. 2042, fol. 101b].
~VCR: The History of the County of Lancaster, Vol. VI, pp. 61-65
• Background Information. 1108
John de ffaryngton, the son of William del Meles, living 7 Edward II, married Avicia, daughter of Robert Bussel, and had issue.
Robert, living 16 Edward II. William Abbot of Eversham granted lands in Faryntin "Roberto filio Johannis de ffarynton." Robert married Elen and had three sons: Robert; Roger, who had sons Adam & Henry; and ?.
~ Documents Relating to the Priory of Penwortham, p.71
John married Avica de Bussel, daughter of Robert de Bussel and Unknown 827.,1108 (Avica de Bussel died in Farrington, Lancashire, England.)