Gilbert de Barton Lord of Barton
- Born: Abt 1210, Barton, Preston, Lancashire, England
- Marriage: Unknown
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 764
Upon the death of his grandmother, Edith de Barton early in 1222, Gilbert de Notton, son of William, by Cecily, daughter of Edith by her first husband, Augustine de Barton, succeeded to the manor of Barton.
~Lancashire Inquests, Extents, and Feudal Aids, p. 61
• Background Information. 826
Gilbert, the eldest son of William and Cecily, was a minor in 1220 at the death of his grandmother Edith, but had livery of his lands two years later. He adopted Barton as a surname, and was made a knight. He fell into the hands of Aaron, the Jew of York, and parted with large portions of his lands, and finally sold his great lordship to Robert Grelley his feudal superior. This sale was confirmed by his son John. Gilbert retained or regained the manor of Barton, but this was given to his daughter Agnes, perhaps in view of her marriage with a Grelley, and her daughter and heir Loretta by marriage with John del Booth, about 1292, carried it into a family which, as Booth of Barton, retained it for 300 years.
~ A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 4, pp. 363-376
• Background Information. 946
Gibert de Barton succeeded his grandmother's estates upon attaining his majority shortly before 26 Jan 1222, the date of the mandate to the Sheriff of Lancashire to give to "Gilbert, grandson and heir of Edith de Barton" livery of 32 oxgangs of land with the appurtenances in Barton, cum membris, which he out to hold of the King in Socage, and for which he had fined for his relief by ten marks, and had done monage [Fine Roll, 6 Hen III, m.7]. Gilbert had the remained of his his estaes in Barton cum membris by military service, of Robert Grelley, lord of Manchester.
Gilbert married Cecily by whom he had issue John de Barton, who died young, and a daughter, Agnes his heir, whos daughter, Loretta, married John del Booth, and so carried the extensive estates of Barton and elsewhere to the family of Booth of Barton.
~The Chartulary of Cockersand Abbey, Vol. II, P. II, pp. 727-728