Sir Thomas Champernoun Knight
- Born: Abt 1315, Modbury, Kingsbridge, Devon, England
- Marriage: Eleanor de Rohart
- Died: After 12 Nov 1387, Inceworth, Maker, Cornwall, England
Information about this person:
• Background Information. 1199
Sir Richard Champernowne of Modbury = Joane, daughter and heir of Ralph de Valletort of Tawton
Sir Thomas Champernowne, named in the Inq. taken on the death of Otho Champernowne = Eleanor, daughter and heir of Roger Rohart
Sir Richard Champernowne of Modbury, named in the Inq. taken on the death of Otho Champernowne = Alice, daughter of Thomas, Lord Astley, 1st wife
~The Visitations of the County of Devon: Comprising the Herald's Visitations of 1531, 1564, & 1620, p.160 & 162
• Background Information: From GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives. 193
(GEN-MEDIEVAL Post Continued from ealier generation)
5. THOMAS CHAMPERNOUN, Esq. As Lord of Modbury, he presented to Modbury Priory in June 1345, June 1349, April 1350/1, March 1361/2 and June 1375 (Grandison, pp. 1347, 1390-1, 1416, 1480; Brantyngham, 1370-1394, p. 37); as Lord of Bridford he presented there to the church in June 1349 and Jan 1358/9 (Grandison, p. 1391, 1450). Collector of the 10th and 15th for Devonshire, 1 Aug 1357-15 Sept 1357 (Cal. Fine Rolls, 1356-1368, p. 44, 46); appointed Sheriff of Devonshire 20 Nov 1362 and 26 Nov 1367 (ibid., p. 237, 359) serving a one year term in each instance. In Apr 1369, he quit-claimed his rights to the Rohant lands in Worthington, Leicestershire; Estcoton, by Gildesburgh, Northamptonshire; and Combe Real and Portesmouth, Devonshire to his son, Richard (Cal. Close Rolls, 1369-74: 84).
Appointed escheator for Devonshire, 15 June 1369, serving until 16 Feb 1371 (Cal. Fine Rolls, 1368-77, pp. 9, 109). In that capacity, he was appointed on 20 Nov 1369 to guard the temporalities of the Bishop of Exeter, now void, and in the King's hands (ibid., p. 44); appointed collector of the 10th and 15th, 6 Dec 1373 and again 14 Nov 1374 (ibid., pp. 229, 269); writ of supersedeas issued May 1379 in favor of Thomas Chambernoun, Esq. for a demand for his homage which he has done (Cal. Close Rolls, 1377-81: 256); exempted for life from assizes, juries, etc., by letters patent of 9 Nov 1378 (Cal. Patent Rolls, 1377-81, p. 346); appointed collector of a tax in Cornwall (Cal. Fine Rolls, 1377-1383, p. 54). The last reference to him occured on 12 Nov 1387 when he was serving on commission of road inquiry in Devonshire (Cal. Close Rolls, 1385-9: 391).
Married to Eleanor, daughter of Sir Roger Rohant and heiress to Aston Rohant, Oxfordshire and Woodleigh, Devonshire. She was dead by April 1369 when her husband quit-claimed his rights to her inheritance in favor of their son Richard(Cal. Close Rolls, 1369-74: 84; VCH, Oxfordshire, 8: 21).
7. Sir Richard Champernoun, m 1) Alice Astley, 2) katherine
8. Edmund Champernoun.
9. Cecily Champernoun.
Thomas married Eleanor de Rohart, daughter of Roger de Rohart and Unknown.