Another name for William is William de Norwich.1294
Information about this person:
• Background Information. 1294
"Thorp contained one manor only; at the Confessor's survey it belonged to a thane of Bishop Stigand, and was worth 5£ per annum. At the Conquest it belonged to Earl Eustace, and was worth 6£; it was a mile and an half long, and five furlongs broad, and paid 6d. ob. q. geld. [Terre Comitis Eustachii. Depwade H. Doms fo. 73] It soon after this belonged to one William sometimes distinguished by the addition of Norwich, where he lived; and that Roger mentioned in the record called Testa de Nevil, seems to have been his son; he was succeeded by Robert called Fitz-Roger, and after by the name of Sir Robert de Massingham-Parva, who held 7 fees in Thorp, Massingham, Anemere, and many other towns, of the honour of Bononia or Bulloigne. His wife Eda survived him, and held Thorp in 1209, when she was called Eda de Thorp. Hugh son of Robert lived at the same time; he is also called sometimes Hugh de Massingham, and was succeeded by Sir John the Knight, [In 1249, John son of Hugh de Thorp and Roger de Thorp, held a whole fee, and were not knights, but were summoned to take that honour] son of Sir Hugh, often called John Fitz-Robert: he sealed with chequy or and G. a fess in a bordure arg. and was lord of Ashwellthorp, Fundenhall, Wreningham, Bonwell, &c.; he married Margery daughter of Sir Robert de Creke, lord of North-Creke and Hillington in Norfolk, and Combes in Suffolk, and at length coheir to Sarah de Creke, daughter of Bartholomew de Creke, and wife to Roger Fitz-Osbert, their son."
~An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk: Vol. V, pp. 142-163