- Born: Bef 1305, Ashbourne Hall, Derbyshire, England 1192
- Marriage: Daughter of Sir William de Kniveton 1192
- Died: After 1332, Ashbourne Hall, Derbyshire, England 1192
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 1192
John Cockayne, one of the three sons of William and Sarah Cockayne, married a daughter of Sir William de Kniveton of Bradley, co. Derby. By this marriage, he had a son, also named John. This was Sir John Cockayne of Ashbourne, 1357, M.P. for the county of Derby who married Letitia.
~Cockayne Memoranda, p. 6
• Background Information. 1190
William Cockeyn, of Ashburne, in 1299, by Sarah, his wife, had issue, John living in Ashburne, 1305, father of John Cockayne, who by Letitia his wife, was father of another John Cockney, a person of great distinction.
~Burkes's A Genealogical History of the Dormant: Abeyant, Forfeited, and Extinct Peerages of the British Empire, p. 126
John married Daughter of Sir William de Kniveton, daughter of Sir William Kniveton Knight and Unknown.1192 (Daughter of Sir William de Kniveton was born in Bradley, Cheshire, England and died after 1360.)