Gwenllian verch Gruffydd
- Born: Abt 1086, Caernarvonshire, Wales
- Marriage: Gruffydd ap Rhys Price of Deheubarth 1012,1092
- Died: 1136, Maes Gwenllian, outside walls of Kidwelly, Wales about age 50 1012
Information about this person:
• Web Reference: Gwenllian. 1012
Gwenllian died when she led an attach on Norman fortress of Kidwelly, in her husband's absence, and was killed fighting outside the town, at a spot still known as Maes Gwenllian.
• Background Information. 1091
Gwenllian, daughter of Gruffudd ap Cynan, king of Gwynedd, was the wife of Gruffudd ap Rhys ap Tewdwr, king of Deheubarth. She was also the mother of Rhys ap Gruffudd. She is known for mustering and leading forces against Maurice de Londres's attack while her husband was away from Gwynedd. The Welsh were defeated and Gwenllian was slain.
~ Celtic Culture: A Historical Encyclopedia, pp. 861-862
Gwenllian married Gruffydd ap Rhys Price of Deheubarth, son of Rhys ap Tewdwr Mawr Prince of South Wales and Gwladus verch Rhiwallon 1012.,1092 (Gruffydd ap Rhys Prince of Deheubarth was born about 1090 in Dynevor Castle, Llandilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales and died in 1137 in Deheubarth, Wales 1012,1092.)