William I "The Lion" King of Scotland
- Born: 1142-1143, Scotland
- Marriage: Ermengarde de Beaumont
- Mistress: Isabel de Avenell
- Mistress: Unknown
- Mistress: Daughter of Adam de Hythus
- Died: 4 Dec 1214, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland at age 72 871
- Buried: 1214, Arbroath Abbey, Aberbrothock, Scotland 871
Another name for William was Uilliam Garm.
Information about this person:
• Web Reference: Undiscovered Scotland - William I.
• Background Information. 871
William, "the lion" married on 5 Sep 1186 at Woodstock, Ermengarde, daughter of Richard, Vicomté de Bellomonte. He died at Stirling 4 Dec 1213, and was buried at Arbroath. His wife died 11 Feb 1233/4 and was buried at Balmerino. Their children were:
• Alexander, afterwards king.
• Margaret, was married at York in 1221, to Hubert de burgh, Justiciar of England and Ireland.
• Isabella, married to Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, and died without children.
• Marjory, married, at Berwick, 1 Aug 1235, Gilbert, Earl of Pembroke. She died without issue, 17 Nov 1244 and was buried in London.
King William's illegitimate children:
• Robert de London
• Henry Galightly
• Isabella, whose mother was daughter of Robert Avenel. She was first married to Robert de Brus in in 1183, and second to William de Ros
• Ada, was married in 1184 to Patrick de Dunbar, fifth Earl of Dunbar. She died in 1200.
• Margaret, whose mother was the daughter of Adam de Hythus, was married to Eustace de Vesci.
• Anfrica, married William de Say. Her great-grandson was Roger de Mandevill.
~The Scots Peerage, pp. 5-6
• Background Information. 189
William, "the Lion," had only one surviving legitimate son, Alexander II. He had atleast six illegitimate children who were:
• Rogert de London
• Henry Galithtly, whos son Patrick was a Competitor (to the Scotish Crown) in 1291
• Isabella, by a daughter of Robert Avenal. Isabella married first, Robert Brus, yet had no issue. She married second, William de Ros.
• Ada, married in 1184 to Patrick de Dunbar, 5th Earl. Her greatgrandson was Patrick de Dunbar who was a Competitor.
• Margaret, by a daughter of Adam de Hythus, and who married Eustace de Vesci. Her grandson William de Vesci was a competitor.
• Aufrica, who married William de Say. Her great-grandson, Roger de Mandeville was a Competiitor.
~"Royal Bye-Blows III: Illegitimate Descendants of the Scottish Kings," NEHGR, Vol 122, Oct. 1968, pp. 266-267
William married Ermengarde de Beaumont, daughter of Richard Seigneur de Beaumont and Lucie de l'Aigle.
William has a relationship with Isabel de Avenell, daughter of Richard de Avenell and Sibyl. (Isabel de Avenell died on 11 Feb 1234 in Scotland 871 and was buried Balmerino 871.)
William had a relationship with Daughter of Adam de Hythus, daughter of Adam de Hythus and Unknown.