William de Braose 3rd Baron Bramber. Lord Brecknock, Abergavenny
- Born: After 1100, Bramber, Sussex, England
- Marriage: Bertha de Hereford 141
- Died: 31 Dec 1189-21 Oct 1190, Acre, Palestine
~Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists Who Came to America before 1700, 8th Edition, 177:5, 194:5 William de Braose, of Brecknock, Abergavenney and Gower, first Baron of Gwentland, son of Philip de Broase of Bramer, Sussex and Philip's wife Aenor, daughter and heir of Juhel de Totenis, son of Alved, Lord of Barnstable and Totnes. William de Braose married Bertha of Hereford, daugther of Sibyl de Neufmarché and Miles of Gloucester, Earl of Hereford. William and Bertha were the parents of William de Braose who married Maud de St. Valéry of Hale; and Sibyl de Braose, wife of William de Ferrers, third Earl of Derby.
~Cokayne's Complete Peerage, 2nd Edition,(Abergavenny), Vol. I, pp. 21, 22, William de Broase, Lord of Briouze in Normandy, and Bramber, Sussex, son and heir of Phillip by Aenor, daughter and heir of Jushel son of Alvred, Lord of Barnstaple and Totnes, married Bertha, 2nd sister and coheir of William of Hereford. Sheriff of Herefordshire, Easter 1173-1175. He was alive in 1179. 141
Noted events in his life were:
• Background Information. 737
William de Braose was the son of Phillip de Braose. He married Berta, daughter of Milo de Gloucester, Earl of Hereford, and coheir of her brother, William, Earl of Hereford, by whom he acquired Brecknock, with other extensive territorial possessions. He had two sons, William and Reginald, and was succeeded by his eldest son, William.
~Burke's A Genealogical History of the Dormant, Abeyant, Forfeited, and Extinct Peerages, pg. 72
• Web Reference: Charles Cawley's Medieval Lands, William II de Briouse.
• Children. 722
• William, d. Corbeil, 9 Aug 1211, bur. Abbey of St. Victor, Paris, m. Maud de St. Valerie, d. 1210
• Phillip, settled in Ireland
• Maud, m. John de Brompton
• Sybil, m. 1st, Willim de Ferrières, 3rd Earl of Derby, who d. Acre, Palestine, 1190, before 21 Oct, while on a crusade; m. 2nd, Adam de Port of Basing
• Bertha, m. William I de Beauchamp
• Isabel, m. her cousin Peter Fitz Herbert, son of her mother's sister Lucy
~The Medieval Ancestors of Certain Americans, pg. 40
William married Bertha de Pîtres, daughter of Mile de Pîtres 1st Earl of Hereford, and Constable of England and Sibyl de Neufmarché.141 (Bertha de Pîtres was born about 1130 in Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England.)